Forced Induction Custom FI Setup Questions

Holset VGT HE351VE Controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
0.0 BAR

Hello!

This is to introduce ourselves as a turbocharger supplier which has many years' experience in this line of business. Our products include many world-famous brands such as Garrett, Holset, KKK, IHI, Mitsubishi etc. We believe that we can become your excellent supplier.

Most of our products are original. And as we know that the dynamic balance performance is very important to turbochargers, therefore, all of our product have undergone rigorous dynamic balance testing, the turbo wheel and compressor wheel can run smoothly at high speed. Besides, oil sealing performance is good, the situation that oil leakage from turbine or compressor will not occur. Some turbochargers may give engine some negative influence, such as power shortage, low boost pressure and black smoke. These will definitely not happen in our products.

Our website is www.enginesworld.com, and my E-mail address is sales3"a"enginesworld.com

Please contact us when you have any request. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 PM
0.0 BAR

Hey guys, it's good to check back here again and see so much interest. I keep getting E-mails from people asking how the setup is and how much confidence I have in it. Let me say that I do believe for sure that the controller/actuator does indeed work well enough to take advantage of the turbo's VGT technology. I will say however that if I did it again, I would use the factory hall sensors on the board to get a digital signal for accuracy and longevity. R34ZtuneGarrett, although it sounds like you may have a good knowledge of VGT systems, I think you are missing the point of this project. The goal here is to reverse engineer a relatively high-output turbo unit that can be purchased on E-bay for under $200. Sure, of course a Garrett AVNT or other directly controlled PWM turbo would be ideal, but isn't this Homemadeturbos.com? Well guys its been fun. I have about another year of school left. I believe I will revisit this project again once I am finished. Next time, it will be much more elegant. Thanks for your interest...
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 AM
0.0 BAR

The way that the inital project was setup, I think Skylar was on the money early on discussing a target boost value. This is essential in the precision control of the turbo, and a simple MAP sensor cannot achieve that. For small displacement gas engines it might not be a big concern, but for large displacement gas or diesel engines we like to open the vanes wide at low boost cruising to get better fuel economy, but also be able to get them real small to work as an exhaust brake for diesels. So there are more factors, such as TPS, RPM and what not that are valuable.

I enjoy programming all of this in my diesel truck, that uses a PWM vacuum solenoid and vacuum wastegate actuator to control boost levels to fuel rate and RPM, and of course fuel rate based on TPS and RPM. It is simple for me, to be able to control the stock setup, but would love to be able to put VGT on the truck and control it. If there is a PWM version from International, then its something that I could use the PCMs existing PWM output for.

If thats not realistic then building a new controller could be fun.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
0.0 BAR

Hopefully you will be able to take the info and ideas in this thread and maybe get us a little closer to reality in having a viable controller for this turbo.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
0.0 BAR

I have a completely mechanical system.

http://mercedesforum.com/forum/diese...ne-load-49672/

Attached Thumbnails Holset VGT HE351VE Controller-boostvalves1a.jpg  
Old 07-27-2014, 03:02 AM
0.0 BAR

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old thread but I have a Holset HE351VE turbo here I imported from the USA, I've had it acid bathed, machined, rebuilt and the exhaust housing ceramic coated.

I'm looking at using this engine on a 4L I6 gas engine, I've sourced a controller "Steed" had created to give us full control of the VGT mechanism using the factory module here:

Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

I need to know a few questions about the turbo before I have the manifold made up.

There seems to be no internal waste gate on this turbo? Does it have one?

The reason why I want to use this turbo is to attempt to virtually eliminate turbo lag down low but still be able to move air at my 5000 RPM redline. I don't want to run a massive amount of boost, 6-12psi I would be over the moon with.

Thanks much guys.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-27-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 AM
0.0 BAR

Steed's controller is not effective, you will have high exhaust restriction at low loads.

Second, variable exhaust turbos do not use or need a wastegate. People that have installed one on a VGT/VNT turbo don't know what they are doing.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 AM
0.0 BAR

Originally Posted by OM617
Steed's controller is not effective, you will have high exhaust restriction at low loads.

Second, variable exhaust turbos do not use or need a wastegate. People that have installed one on a VGT/VNT turbo don't know what they are doing.
I've ordered the controller anyway so its too late to turn back now, we can come up with something else later.

So I do not need to use a waste gate on a gas engine with this turbo? How do I stop over boosting the turbo? I imagine at 5000 RPM with 4L of gas engine spinning it she will over boost pretty hard?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-27-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 AM
0.0 BAR

VGT turbos do not need a wastegate on any engine. If it does, the turbo is too small for the engine.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:32 AM
0.0 BAR

Originally Posted by OM617
VGT turbos do not need a wastegate on any engine. If it does, the turbo is too small for the engine.
Does anyone know the specs of the turbo? How can I tell if it will be too small for the engine?

I've got a 4L I6 gas engine it will be going on.

I can't really run more than 12psi safely without grenading my engine.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-27-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Holset VGT HE351VE Controller